THE TRUTH IS, our teeth are amazing! Without them we wouldn’t be able to speak, eat, sing, or smile properly. We’d like to celebrate our teeth by sharing some interesting dental facts you may not have known!
Here Are 10 Fun Dental Facts
- If you’ve been using floss daily, by the end of the year the total length will be the perimeter of a baseball diamond! Is your floss going to make it to home plate?
- Because birds lack teeth, many swallow stones or grits to aid in breaking up hard foods.
- On average, women smile 62 times a day and men only eight times a day. Step it up, guys!
- The average American spends 38.5 total days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- Only 40 percent of young people age six to 19 have had cavities in their life. That’s down from 50 percent a decade ago!
- In the middle ages, people thought that a dog’s tooth boiled in wine made an excellent mouth rinse to prevent tooth decay. Tasty!
- The Egyptian plover, also known as the crocodile bird, is famous for flying into crocodile mouths and cleaning their teeth.
- Prior to the 1850s, ‘toothpastes’ were usually powders and contained soap and chalk.
- An obscure law in Vermont states that it is illegal for women to wear false teeth without the written permission of their husband. Crazy!
- Different animals have different amounts of teeth; armadillos have 104, pigs have 44, and humans have 32.
How Many Of These Facts Have You Heard Before?
It’s always fun to learn about the obscure facts and crazy history that make up our tooth trivia! Do you know any other cool dental facts? Comment below or on our Facebook page! And remember, take care of your teeth. They do so much for you!
We are grateful for our awesome patients!
The content on this blog is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical/dental advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of qualified health providers with questions you may have regarding medical conditions.